Friday, July 5, 2013

The Testing: A must-read for dystopian lovers!!!!

The Testing (The Testing, #1) 
This book is AWESOME!!!! This book was recommended to me by a friend who went to the Literacy in Motion Conference at Judson University. This was one of the books that was booktalked there. 

I was told that this book was a combination of Hunger Games, Matched, and Divergent. I don't think it has much of Divergent in it, but it is definitely a good combo of Hunger Games and Matched. 

This is the first book, in what I'm guessing, will be a trilogy. It does have a very Hunger Games-esque feel about it, just with slightly less violence. Cia is the main character, and it's hard not to like her. She is very naive going into the whole test, but she learns lessons the hard way, very quickly. 

Now there were many people out there who did not like The Testing at all and found it to be very boring. There are parts in the story where more action could have been thrown in, but overall, the book kept me coming back for more. I put off doing my first speech for my master's to finish this book! What are other people's thoughts on this book?

If you are into Dystopian society books, this is definitely one to check out!

4 comments:

  1. Loved this book!! I am so glad that you lent it to me! I read it in two days. I agree, it reminded me a lot of Hunger Games but that didn't discourage me from enjoying this book. I really enjoyed the character of Cia as well as Tomas. I really enjoyed Cia's optimism and her ability to trust anyone. I thought that it was going to get her into a lot of trouble and was surprised it hadn't. Tomas I still can't quite put my finger on but I am feeling there is something more complex to him that I am interested to see what happens to him in the next book. I also really enjoyed the references to Chicago it allowed me to better visualize the story. Who would you have play Cia and Tomas if they were to make a movie?

    Thanks for lending me this book! Next up is Divergent for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alissa, you should list your blog on the Book Blogger Directory: http://bookbloggerdirectory.wordpress.com/ I am sure your posts will be of interest to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a reluctant dystopian reader, who never voluntarily picked up any sci fi before May. I did love Hunger Games and Divergent both, so I am definitely going to pick this book up. It'll be nice to be able to suggest a dystopian book to my students instead of the other way around. I'm also going to suggest it to my son and daughter, who love this genre. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to have to pick this book up! Thanks for you review! :)

    ReplyDelete